Saturday 21 April 2007

Tonight in Joseph, dreamcoat or drearycoat?

Did it seem for a while tonight that there was no potential Joseph stars on this show? Starting off with Daniel and Craig, it was mediocre to say the least. Bill Kenwright, for some reason I can't figure, described Daniel's performance as "fantastic", not for me it wasn't.

Keith and Seamus didn't do much better either as far as I'm concerned. Keith was dissed for his diction, and whilst Seamus was advised to embrace his talent I think he may need some coaching in people skills first!

Then came poor Ben; you could tell from the first note that this wee boy couldn't cope with a big song like All By Myself. Zoe called his vocals "flat" and ALW "didn't think you were handling that song well tonight". Couldn't have said it better myself, well not without using bad language anyway.

The mediocrity continued with Johndeep, singing a number from West Side Story. Something's Coming sounded more like something's missing I'm afraid. Bill Kenwright's comment was "wrong interpretation"

Now before I continue this week's rant, yes I'm writing this after the event so the results have been announced. But since I don't run to my computer straight after the live show I'm not apologising for my after-the-event opinion. Believe it or not, I really don't mind.

Ok, Chris. I must be on a different planet from the judges. I didn't like him much last week, and this week hasn't changed my opinion. JB might think he's his Joseph, but he is definitely not mine.

Rob did slightly better with Piano Man, but came in from a bit of criticism from the Lord himself. Although I do believe the audience were a bit confused by the question - "did you know this song was sung by two people?". Was it? I thought Billy Joel sang it himself (!)

Denise Van Outen said to Antony "you rocked my world". Well happy as I am for her, he didn't rock my kitchen table. I do love his voice, there's no doubt he can sing but I wasn't convinced at all by the acting. Her next comment was hilarious though, and will no doubt be quoted many times over the next few days - see my Quote of the Show.

And so to Lewis and Lee. Finally, something worth watching for. Lewis gave a fantastic rendition of Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word. I know he had a slight problem with the falsetto, but a bit of help from Zoe will hopefully fix that. Lee finished the show with Bad Day, and it certainly wasn't a bad day for him after that. He was brilliant!

Disappointments:
Daniel - I am waiting for something much better from him. I do feel a bit sorry for Keith, he can work on his diction forever but this isn't the right part for him.

Highlights:
Without question Lee gave the best performance for me tonight, with Lewis a close second.

Quote of the Show:
Antony was given a bit of back up with a female dancer in his Light My Fire number. Denise, in her wisdom commented "You sometimes look a little stiff on stage". And before the watershed too!

I hate to admit it, as this show was looking very promising, but for me it's a bit more Any Dream Will Don't than Any Dream Will Do tonight.

Results Show

4 comments:

GT said...

I think Lee is by far the best Joseph and to be fair he has got lots of experience so does have the advantage over the others. I like Anthony but thats mainly because he is cute and nothing to do with his vocal ability lol. I could not get my head around Johndeep as a convincing Joseph so I think last nights outcome was right.

danceteacher said...

I agree, Lee is heading the field just now. I have seen some fantastic performances in the West End where some of the lesser know principals have been better than the main "star".

Anonymous said...

It has to be Lee, he's definitely the best and I find my eyes riveted to him on stage. I couldn't agree with you more, that this week was humdrum until Lewis and Lee who were both excellent but Lee is head and shoulders above them all - and what's wrong with having someone more experienced in a West End Show, in order to survive all the performances each week. What would be excellent would be if the other 11 were cast as Joseph's brothers.

danceteacher said...

Linda, thanks for your comment. It would be great to see a routine on the show with the boys playing the brothers' parts. One More Angel In Heaven would be a good number for that!